Are Facial Fillers Safe and Effective for Wrinkle Reduction?
Facial fillers surged in popularity in the early 2000s, when cosmetic professionals began to openly discuss their effects. Over the years, fillers have seen countless innovations, allowing patients to use fillers that are not only safer, but more effective; in 2003, Restylane, the first non-animal hyaluronic acid injectable, was produced, and by 2007, lidocaine, a local anesthetic, was added to some fillers to both minimize pain and create a smoother facial profile.
Fast-forward to 2021, and the average person has access to a far wider range of fillers, and it’s so easy to find dermal filler pricing by searching online for skin and beauty clinics near you. What’s more, these modern treatments are great for both men and women and provide results that are on par with more invasive cosmetic procedures, such as chin implants and facelifts.
Although fillers are composed of a variety of different solutions, hyaluronic acid (HA) is usually their primary component. HA is a naturally occurring substance in the body that acts as a lubricant for the joints and tissues. For the most part, fillers are injected into the face and neck in hope of reducing wrinkles, but they can also be injected elsewhere. Generally, injections do not take long to perform, and have minimal side-effects.
The Benefits of Using Fillers
- They reduce moderate to severe wrinkles.
- They help create a more refreshed, youthful appearance.
- They boost confidence.
- They are safe to use and minimally invasive.
The Drawbacks of Using Fillers
- Patients typically experience bruising and swelling for one or two weeks.
- There are some limitations to facial movement up to 48 hours after injection.
Best Facial Fillers
Belotero is an excellent filler that smooths wrinkles and fine lines. It is especially effective on the cheeks, the lips, and the temples. It can also add definition to the chin.
Radiesse used to be called Radiance, and for good reason, because it eliminates deep folds.
Sculptra is made from a safe synthetic material called poly-L-lactic acid, which restores volume in areas that lack proper fat content, such as the cheeks or the lower eyelids.
- Juvéderm® Voluma XC: Corrects age-induced volume loss in the cheeks. It can also improve chin definition.
- Juvéderm® Vollure XC: Effective for treating nasolabial wrinkles (smile lines).
- Juvéderm® Volbella XC: Great for volumizing the lips and correcting perioral lines (wrinkles around the mouth).
- Juvéderm® Ultra XC: Another treatment for smile and laugh lines.
- Juvéderm® Ultra Plus XC: Has a thicker consistency than Ultra XC and uses hyaluronic acid to plump the lips.
- Restylane® Lyft: Has a large particle size and is used for more treatment-resistant wrinkles. It can also add volume to the lips.
- Restylane® Silk: Augments the size of the lips and smooths wrinkles around the mouth.
- Restylane® Defyne: Great for eliminating laugh lines and lines between the lips and nose.
- Restylane® Refyne: Smooths almost any wrinkle on most parts of the face.
Many people believe that Botox is a facial filler, but this is not the case! Unlike the aforementioned facial fillers, Botox’s main component is Botulinum Toxin A, an FDA-approved (and safe-to-use!) neurotoxin that relaxes the muscles and keeps them from moving. This, in turn, flattens prominent wrinkles and prevents new ones from forming.
Using facial fillers and Botox in conjunction is common and can provide even better results; this is called a “non-surgical” or “liquid” facelift. The results of a liquid facelift are similar to those of a surgical facelift, but there is far less post-treatment downtime and recovery.
Aging can be daunting, especially when every patient has different needs. This is why you should entrust your skin to professionals, such as the ones at J Spa Med Spa, Long Island’s top medical spa. The facility is run by one of New York City’s best facial plastic surgeons, Dr. Andrew Jacono, who has helped thousands of patients find confidence in front of the mirror. So, what are you waiting for? Call (516) 773-2424 today to schedule a consultation and get rid of those pesky wrinkles.